Subject: Re: setting interrupts and other things.
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/28/1999 22:01:14

> BTW, you *can't* set the interrupt routine in the probe routine.
> (as I've been doing the new idsptch code).  To pass context to the
> interrupt routine, you usually supply the ptr to the softc.  that
> doesn't exist yet in the probe routine.
>
> Hence you need to do it the attach routine.

The interrupt vector is _never_ set in the probe routine, only after
the device has been detected. (in the search routine).

What is the problem to call the ?_intr_establish() from the attach
routine with the parameters given in the ?_attach_args struct instead?

It seems as unneccessary code duplication to have to do interrupts in
both the probe and attach routines.
It's best to keep as much as possible of the interrupt stuff out of the
driver, because it is the same on all devices.

-- Ragge