Subject: Re: VAXstation VLC cache
To: John Carr <jfc@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/1999 18:48:52
Hi !

> I'm considering getting a VLC for hacking.
>
> I noticed that the enable_cache function for the VLC is disabled.  Is
> this because it is not necessary or because it doesn't work?

I did this port and never got the cache enabled safely, so there is a return
in the code. The box simply runs extremely unstable with cache enabled.

> Many years ago I ported Ultrix to run on the VXT 2000, which also uses
> the VAX SOC processor, and it is possible that my brain still contains
> some useful data so I'd be curious to know the details if the answer
> is "it doesn't work".

If you get this running, this would be extremely nice. I started this thing,
and this is the only thing missing for official support of the box. (OK, SCSI
is to follow...)

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de