Subject: Re: VAX 3100 installation - need help!
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/1999 10:17:52
On Sun 21 Nov 1999 at 20:15:05 -0800, Brian D Chase wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Tatiana A. Zhdanova (Mouse) wrote:
>
> [The quoting on this message is a little confusing, so I'm not quite sure
> who wrote what.]
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I did that when I prepared the tape. BTW, I tried boot rom()netbsd and got a
> > line with
> > xxxxxx+yyyyyyy+zzzzzz=0xkkkkkk
> > and that was it. No more activity after that.
> > HELP!

I had the same, yesterday. My fix was to flip the console switch (next
to the leds) to UP, and connect the console to port #3.

> Booting the 1.4.1 NetBSD/vax install image from SCSI tape drives just
> doesn't work.  I'm fairly confident that the 1.5 release will work.

But it did work! (Took a long time though)

What didn't work, and maybe that's what you mean, is extracting
additional files from tape. There were SCSI error messages "can't set
requested mode", then a "read error", with all of /dev/rst* (that did
something). I attributed this to a flaky tape, and while trying to find
a good tape I dislodged the take-up leader when I somehow took out a
tape that was not fully rewound (buthe TK50 was flashing quickly already
before that so something was wrong before)

> Ragge has revamped the SCSI support, added DMA, and things seem to be
> running much more smoothly for the VAXstation 3100s, the VAXserver 3100,
> and the older MicroVAX 3100s.

Oh yes, a newfs on my 2G disk was very slow (and I've done it twice
already now), and so was an fsck.

> -brian.
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)