Subject: Re: VAX 3100 installation - need help!
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Peter Garay <pgaray@bigfoot.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/1999 15:20:57
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Chris Tribo wrote:
> on 11/21/99 11:41 PM, Tatiana A. Zhdanova (Mouse) at antonymouse@home.com
> wrote:
>
> > I've got a couple of drives in that vax - internal RZ24 and external
> RZ56. I
> > just can not figure out the way to connect external RZ56 to any other
> system
> > at home - I have WinNT and Win98 (no other Unix boxes) and just U2W SCSI
> > there. Can I do netboot from WinNT?
> > Anton
>
>     You can NFS serve the file systems from NT with Samba, but the VAX only
> boots by MOP (to my knowledge), and you'll need another DEC to load the mop
> image from in all likelyhood. I think its like 200k so its no big deal if
> you have a server that can MOP.

Samba allows you to share files on a Unix host and make it act as a file
server for 'doze boxes. It is not NFS. You can BUY NFS server software for NT
(at least I do not know of any free NFS server).  You may well need bootp and
TFTP server as well (and MOP)

MOP server exist for ???BSD and linux, and perhaps it
would be avail for solaris, as they also have DECnet (beside VMS :-)

PG