Subject: Re: VAXstations 2000 and 3100/M38
To: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/21/1999 22:00:08
On Sun 21 Nov 1999 at 21:00:02 +0100, Anders Hogrelius SdU wrote:
> I think you should try the switch anyway. Even though your box
> hasn't got any graphics hardware i think the switch should be in the
> "up" position. I know this is true on the VAXStations, and as far as i
> know the hardware isn't that much different on the MicroVAX 3100/10.
> I could be wrong though... :-)

Well, it's chugging along now... the newfs generates a lot of output and
the scrolling is very slow, but it works... I'll just install kern +
base + etc now, since the VAXen are behind a NAT which does not do ftp
proxying, so a real ftp install probably won't work (but I'll try
anyway). After these sets are on the disk, I'll move the disk to the
M38 (a galaxy far, far away... ;-)

There is one small complication: the boot.fs had a disklabel on it that
did not match the real disk, so I edited it by hand before (re)starting
sysinst. So if the procedure fails too soon, I'll have to start over
from Ultrix (or re-boot the tape of course). (In fact I'm doing that
already since I left the network unplugged and now ping won't even send
packets).

In the Up position, the console is now on <=> 3, where it used to be on
<=> 1. I'm interested to see how Ultrix reacts to that.

> /Anders
Thanks again,
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)