Subject: Booting VAX 4000/300
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Goran Muratovski <gone@marnet.mk>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/19/1999 14:11:42
Hi,

I got hold of a VAX 4000/300 box that was bitting dust in one of our
departments and I decided that I should put it to some use after
going through the port-vax discussions from june 1999. Apart from
the DSSI disks and the SCSI controller (KZQSA) everything else
seems to have worked fine with you.

I went through the netbooting HOWTO (my boot server is a
FreeBSD PC box) and here's what I've done so far. I compiled and
successfully installed the mop daemon, I configured and started the
bootparamd and rarpd daemons. The boot loader I use is
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.1/vax/installation/netboot/boot.mop from
ftp.netbsd.org.

This is what happens ...
(BOOT/R5:0 EZA0)

  2..
-EZA0
  1..0..

>> NetBSD/vax boot [Aug 13 1999 20:18:28] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot
?50 SCB2NDINT, EZA0
?06 HLT INST
        PC = 00000D71

It seems that the mop phase finishes successfuly (the syslogs say
so too) and then something else goes wrong since when
bootparamd is run in the foreground it says nothing. Now the
question is whether I'm using the right boot.mop or is it a special
one for the VAX 4000/300 model? The one mentioned in one of
your mails (http://www.camaronet.de/download/NetBSD-KA670.zip)
is not available any more.

I was searching the port-vax mail archives, and I found something
about the ?50 SCB2NDINT problem back in 1997. It has to do
something with overlying the boot.mop code with some interrupt
handler for the EZA device. I could not figure whether it was
resolved or not and how.

Any ideas, or help would be appreciated!

 --Goran Muratovski, Ss Cyril and Methodius University
Skopje, Macedonia