Subject: Re: RX-23A / Netbooting VS3100 m30
To: , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/19/1999 07:15:13
on 11/19/99 3:20 AM, David O'Brien at obrien@NUXI.com wrote:

>>> Sounds like you didn't turn on ttyd0 in /etc/ttys.
>>
>> I checked my ttys config, and ttyd0 isn't listed anywhere. I tried
>> booting through to multiuser but I get:
>
> I would boot single user (i.e. don't specify the "-a" boot flag).  So you
> can easily edit /etc/ttys
>
>> time/date init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port {console,
>> ttyw0, ttyw1, ttyw2, ttyw3, ttyw4}: no such file or directory.
>
> Sorry, I was using FreeBSD naming.  My PMAX box is down at the moment,
> but I would guess `ttya' would be one that you want to turn "on".
> This is what I have for my NetBSD sparc:
>
> ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

   I just want to clear things up, after I read the original email again I
can see if you were confused. As soon as I type boot netbsd -s from the
secondary mop boot, it seems that I can't use the keyboard. I don't think
the ttys file comes into play until after you leave single user mode. What I
believe to be the trouble is that since I am netbooting a vax from a pmax
system, the console device driver that I made isn't going to work. (Not even
the same serial chip, much less the same system architecture)
    When I do boot to multi-user it says: (vax.home.net) (console), so I
think that ttys aren't the problem. I don't have any of the device files
made anyway. I guess what I really need is someone to post there vax console
driver for a 3100/m30 running 1.4.1 Otherwise, I'll have to come up with
another way to boot the system, so it seems. Thanks for your help though!

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."