Subject: RX-23A / Netbooting VS3100 m30
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/18/1999 10:27:15
I've got a VS 3100 m30 with
	ST506/SCSI daughtercard connected to an RZ22 and an RX23A
	Baseboard video
	20 MB of RAM (I think, I forgot to check before I left)

  Couple of questions:

  Should I be able to boot the floppy image written to a standard 1.4MB
floppy? When I try to boot from it it just keeps comming back with:

83 BOOT SYS

-DUA2
83 BOOT SYS, etc. etc.

  I don't see it as a supported drive to boot from in the install docs,
just wanted to double check.

  I currently have the system MOP booting 1.4.1 from my 5000/200 running
NetBSD PMAX 1.4.1. It runs straight through to single user shell prompt,
but as soon as the kernel loads, I lose my serial console! I can see the
output the entire time, but nothing I type comes up on the screen or has
any effect. It listens to BREAK and dumps me back into the PROM, so I
know it isn't a communications problem. I did make the console device in
the proper place. Perhaps my NFS setup is wrong. I was reading Brian's
NetBooting FAQ and I noted that I do not have -alldirs in my exports
file. So I'll try that when I get home. What should my permissions be
set for to keep the VAX/NFS happy? I recall getting "can't change
attributes on so and so directories" from nfsd on boot. I'll check my
logs when I get home and post/confirm any into that is needed.

  What is the baseboard video on the VS3100 m30? 8 plane color in
1024x768 @ 60-66 Hz is my guess, but I didn't see any info in the
machine details. Does anyone have a pin-out of the DB-15 male video
connector?

  Lastly, is making my own AUI loopback connector worth the trouble, or
am I better off finding a real one/putting a transciever in it?

  Thanks in advance!

      Chris