Subject: Re: To games or not to games.....(:+}}...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/10/1999 15:59:35
> If I am reading the makefile correctly, the entire games tree can be
> omitted and it will correctly bypass that section of make world?
> Is that correct?
>
> I would hate to get half a week into building and.....(:+\\...

Anyway, for the sake of discussion..... on the limit limits.....
For a tiny VAXish machine like my MicroVAX 3100/20, with 8M ram,
32M swap, 200M /tmp, and a new 1 gig /usr fs, what would be typical
values of these limits that would be appropriate or inappropriate as
I ship out on the Great World Build Voyage into the next week.....
Would 8M ram present any contraints, vs biggie ram like some of the
other folks have?

Also, for the sake of speed, would it improve things timewise (the
kernel build took about 5 hours the first time for reference), to
transfer the workspace drives to a VAXstation 3100/30 instead of
the MicroVAX 3100/20.  I get the impression that the two are about
equivalent speedwise, to all intents and purposes, or that the MicroVAX
may be a little faster, even, with file systems spread out across multiple
drives and controllers for tuning, which the VS3100 can't do.

Any further insights for the VAXen-dummy-in-training, here, are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob