Subject: Re: Problems building current.
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/10/1999 12:18:09
>From: jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
>Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:53:43 +0100 (CET)
>
>I tryed to build current from the Nov. 7 tar balls. I made two attempts
>with the same result:
<[...]
>make: Cannot allocate memory.

There are a lot of things that make it very difficult to build
-current on a vax.  In this particular case, the default soft limits
are too small.  I added this to root's .cshrc to overcome the limits.
limit -h cputime         unlimited
limit -h filesize        unlimited
limit -h datasize        unlimited
limit -h stacksize       unlimited
limit -h coredumpsize    unlimited
limit -h memoryuse       unlimited
limit -h memorylocked    unlimited
limit -h maxproc         unlimited
limit -h openfiles       unlimited
limit cputime         unlimited
limit filesize        unlimited
limit datasize        unlimited
limit stacksize       unlimited
limit coredumpsize    unlimited
limit memoryuse       unlimited
limit memorylocked    unlimited
limit maxproc         unlimited
limit openfiles       unlimited

Alternatively you can override limits set in
/sys/arch/vax/include/vmparam.h from your configuration file, and
recompile the kernel.  I think the relevant limit is DFLDSIZ but you
may need to increase other limits as well.

You will also want CFLAGS=-O2 in your mk.conf, to avoid gcc internal
errors during "make build".

I also rebuilt and installed egcs before attempting the "make build".
This may or may not be necessary.

Doing all of the above allowed a "make build" to get through most of a
build.  Eventually my attempt died with a signal 11 from ld, while
building fsdb.  I don't know if there's something else I need to do,
or if my sources are just out of date (it has taken me a week or two
to get to this point)... I'll probably try again in a few days.

--
entropy