Subject: Re: success in building the world!
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/1999 10:50:03
On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 01:59:25PM -0800, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 04:57:19PM -0800, Brian D Chase wrote:
>
> > In the case of Chuck who's got 64Megs of RAM, he's unlikely to hit
> > swap at all unless he's running a lot of concurrent processes.
>
> Try CFLAGS+=-pipe... and avoid having to write to any filesystem
> whatsoever for the intermediate output.  :)

Yes, but you get more context switches instead.
I don't know which is faster on his VAX...

Btw, if he DOES have too much RAM, he might want

-pipe -j4

This way, he gets even more context switches, but the /usr/libexec/cc1 and the
include files in the buffer cache will be shared among more compiler runs...

-j3 or 4 helps to utilize the last 10% or so of CPU, which otherwise sits
idle waiting for disk i/o.

Regards,
	-is

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of