Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/1999 12:21:00
NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > Another note, I installed all the source tar balls (except xsrc and pkgsrc)
> > on a 400MB partition and after building I had 40MB left over. With the xsrc
> > you'll probably need at least 600MB. I've not checked how much space the
> > pkgsrc tarball takes up.
>
> pkgsrc is 42M, and I would guess 3 x that for workspace, so probably 200mb
> additional should work.

pkgsrc is different!  This 42M is just the infrastructure for building
third-party software.  The source to the software itself is in
~ftp/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles and is currently around 1.5GB,
although there's multiple versions of a lot of the software in there.

When I last built pretty much all of pkgsrc on a DECstation it filled
up my 2GB /usr and 2GB working directory before I had to start getting
smart about deleting stuff that was already built and wasn't required by
other packages - I've heard some people on other ports lists' suggesting
that 6GB of working space is necessary, although this could be a bit
smaller on the vax due to the denser instruction set.  As an example,
the All directory of the 1.4.1 vax packages is about 230MB - you'd
probably want at least triple that for working space and that's not all
packages (there's 606 binary packages in that directory and 734 in the
pmax directory).

Simon (the party pooper :-).