Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/07/1999 17:07:58
At 04:57 PM 11/6/99 -0800, Brian Chase wrote:
>In the case of Chuck who's got 64Megs of RAM, he's unlikely to hit swap at
>all unless he's running a lot of concurrent processes.  And if he's not
>swapping, then all that free RAM is going to waste :-) I'd suggest he set
>aside like 20-24Megs of his memory as an MFS (Memory file system), mount
>this on /tmp and then all of those intermediate compiler files will be
>written and read at blinding speeds.

Wow, this feature should be put in a FAQ somewhere! I just installed a 20MB
MFS "disk" on /tmp and the build is _much_ faster. I've not been timing it
but I would say anywhere between 33% and 66%.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to use SUP to get the -current
stuff so that I can pretty much build the world on demand. Is there a FAQ
for that anywhere?

--Chuck