Subject: GCC compilation failed -Again
To: NetBSD VAX Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/07/1999 21:43:59
Hello Everyone!

Can someone PLEASE give me a pointer to why the compilation of
gcc fails. I've tried both the sources included in -current,
as well as the sources from gnu.org. Binutils compiles with a
bit of help. There are files missing in the -current package
that i could copy from the other sources. The missing files
are libtool, ylwrap and mkinstalldirs. Unless it is absolutely
necessary to remove the files to use the packages with netbsd
they should not be removed from the original sources.
Gcc is another story, there is no way i can compile it. I run
configure --prefix=/home/elt96ahs/usr/local
--target==vax-unknown-netbsd1.4.1 , and configure tells me happily
that the Makefiles are set up for a crosscompiler. This is ok
since i'm trying to build a crosscompiler on a sparc. When i run
make this happens:

<snip>
In file included from config/vax/netbsd.h:1,
                 from tm.h:3,
                 from config/sparc/xm-sysv4.h:40,
                 from config.h:3,
                 from cccp.c:21:
config/vax/vax.h:28: warning: `CPP_SPEC' redefined
config/netbsd.h:42: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
config/vax/vax.h:38: warning: `LIB_SPEC' redefined
config/netbsd.h:57: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
In file included from config/vax/netbsd.h:1,
                 from tm.h:3,
                 from config/sparc/xm-sysv4.h:40,
                 from config.h:3,
                 from cccp.c:21:
config/vax/vax.h:256: redeclaration of `enum reg_class'
config/vax/vax.h:256: conflicting types for `NO_REGS'
config/vax/vax.h:256: previous declaration of `NO_REGS'
config/vax/vax.h:256: conflicting types for `ALL_REGS'
config/vax/vax.h:256: previous declaration of `ALL_REGS'
config/vax/vax.h:256: conflicting types for `LIM_REG_CLASSES'
config/vax/vax.h:256: previous declaration of `LIM_REG_CLASSES'
make: *** [cccp.o] Error 1
</snip>

I've tried to track down the files where the stuff that is
redeclared in vax.h comes from, but i haven't found the
offending headers. I can't be the only one who have failed
building this. Some of the errors that occured when i was
building bfd and binutils, must occur even if building is
made on NetBSD-vax. There are errors both in the configure-
scripts, config.bfd as well as in Makefile.in The platform-
dependent entries for netbsd-vax are missing in some files.

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikola Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras