Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/1999 21:22:56
<Anyone have any feeling as to what is the best approach to increase
<throughput on a little MicroVAX 3100/20?  I want to try to make it
<as fast as possible, by whatever means works reasonably well, and
<try to understand what it is that is making things better.  I remember
<there was a paper out by one of the Berkeley crowd, somewhere that gave
<some insights into tuning for speed.   Any pointers thereto are
<appreciated.  So far I have split out the filesystems across multiple
<mounts/drives, and that helps.  There is probably more that can be done.

One trick if not already done.  Make the swap as a seperate spindle.  If
you have an old RZ22(52mb) that will do fine.  Also put that drive on the
other SCSI bus (SCSI-B).  This will allow the OS to do more IOs faster.

Allison