Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/1999 15:06:07
----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 1999 2:29 PM
Subject: success in building the world!

> >From the make log:
> Build started at: Wed Nov  3 10:51:03 PST 1999
> Build finished at: Sat Nov  6 05:04:52 PST 1999
> So two days, 19 hrs or so to re-build everything except PKGSRC, XSRC and
> DOMESTIC

Congratulations !

> on a MicroVAX 3900 (KA655 CPU + 64MB).

64MB ? You don't like swap partitions ;-)

> In a very weird cluster like idea, I picked up a VAXStation 4000/VLC and
> I'm thinking about netbooting it from the 3900, then having it NFS mount
> the sources and build them back to the disk on the 3900.

Should work without problems ...

> Sort of like having a remote CPU that is about twice as fast :-)

Nope. As long as we don't use the cache on the 4000/vlc, I guess, its only
as fast as a KA655 :-(

And additional delays because of the NFS mounted drive.

But still, you can work on two different directories at the same
time.(base,gnu,sys, ... how many of the VLC you have ? ;-)

> Another note, I installed all the source tar balls (except xsrc and
pkgsrc)
> on a 400MB partition and after building I had 40MB left over. With the
xsrc
> you'll probably need at least 600MB. I've not checked how much space the
> pkgsrc tarball takes up.

Now you see, why this stuff is always on the "mainframe" section of ebay ;-)

cheers & have fun,
emanuel