Subject: success in building the world!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/1999 13:29:15
From the make log:
	Build started at: Wed Nov  3 10:51:03 PST 1999
	Build finished at: Sat Nov  6 05:04:52 PST 1999
So two days, 19 hrs or so to re-build everything except PKGSRC, XSRC and
DOMESTIC on a MicroVAX 3900 (KA655 CPU + 64MB). Presumably I can now patch
things and simply do a 'make all' to pick up the necessary changes. I also
didn't configure a kernel and build it so thats another known 4 hrs on this
box so perhaps it takes about 3 days start to finish to build a release.

In a very weird cluster like idea, I picked up a VAXStation 4000/VLC and
I'm thinking about netbooting it from the 3900, then having it NFS mount
the sources and build them back to the disk on the 3900. Sort of like
having a remote CPU that is about twice as fast :-)

Another note, I installed all the source tar balls (except xsrc and pkgsrc)
on a 400MB partition and after building I had 40MB left over. With the xsrc
you'll probably need at least 600MB. I've not checked how much space the
pkgsrc tarball takes up.

--Chuck