Subject: Re: Surplus pickings --- what is VR201B and GDM-1602?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 14:02:41
> On Fri, 05 Nov 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> >I went dumpster diving in Moo U surplus, again, today, and came up with
> >a VR201B for buck, and a GDM-1602 for 5 bucks.
> >
> >1.  Can the VR201B be used as a terminal (VT220 style) or do I need to
> >    run back for what is labelled as a VT240 base to go with it?
>
>   No, the VR201 is just a monitor.  Go back and grab the VT240 base.  You'll
> need an LK-series keyboard to run it.

OK, I was afraid of that.  Anyway, I did not pick them up this week.  Will
hold til next week, (they keep very short hours weekly, they close at noon
and are only open friday mornings).  Next week they halve the prices so maybe
I will find the bases for a buck....!  On the way out I grabbed a chance
DS5000/20 for 4 bucks.  Not much other DECish still there, only one DS2100.

The keyboards I already have.

What sort of cable connects to the monitor  from the base.  It looked like
a short 15 pin thing.  Will a ribbon cable a foot long or so do, with
the usual IDC connectors or does it require exotic twisted pair or shielded
coax cabling?

>   I really like VT240s; I think they're really great terminals.  Good luck!

I was noticing on the one of the terminal web sites with info on the VT
line, that they did graphics.  Is that capability of much use anymore?
...or possibly on something like a terminal driven MicroVAX where the
Tektronics graphics could be invoked?

Thanks, we will see, and if they have not just thrown them into the trash
next week.....(:+{{... terminals for a buck.... terminals for a buck.....
The fun of playing with NON-PC stuff.....(:+}}.... I let the PC horde
scamper through first, then liesurely stroll through after they have
thinned out so I have time to dive and play..... interesting treasures
float to the surface of the bilges that way..... the PC folks, just
don't know what they are missing.....(:+}}.

Bob