Subject: Re: Minimum MicroVAX 3100/20 kernel config?
To: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 12:53:46
> > The two busses collectively support 12 drives (6 each).  My disk server
> > has 9 disks, TLZ30 and a CDrom and lots of SCSI cables!
>
> Brain death... I meant 14 not 12...

Ahh, even better, then... id0-id5, and id7 on each bus.

For the sake of discussion, how should/would they be nomenclatured?

sd0-sd13?

If so, I need to do some more makedev'ing tonight.

With a TK50 and an RRD42, (will it handle standard DC6150 style
archive or such drives) (maybe a 6150), then, if I can find it
a 9 track reel-reel, then 10 drives..... WOW, that would be a mean
little MicroVAX for a toy home server.....(:+}}...

Off the wall thought.... would a standard scsi cdburner like maybe
one of the Phillips things work satisfactorily on a MicroVAX 3100,
or would the MicroVAX be too slow to support the I/O.

My thoughts were to hang 5 drives internally on the scsi0 bus and
then what assortment of tapes and external HD's via expansion boxes,
on the external bus.  The internal cabling off scsi bus 0 seems
to be the main gotcha.

Ideally, I would like a 6150 capable tape drive for compatibility with
my other unix toyz, and, (dream on....) a reel-reel 9 tracker for some
OT tape capability.  Whether or not I ever find a usable 9 tracker that
I can afford, is another story.  But, it always struck my fancy as not
being a real unix box unless those big tapes were whirring along.....

Bob