Subject: Re: Minimum MicroVAX 3100/20 kernel config?
To: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 11:33:33
> >Question on the MicroVAX 3100/20 boxes.... the internal scsi controller 0
> >bus only has a strange looping cable with what looks like a 100 pin
> >connector.  I am assuming DEC would not loop the scsi bus, even on  that
> >short a cable (8 inch or so), although they might.  The VS3100/30
> >has a similar cable but much longer by about 3 feet.  Is it using each
> >side of the 100 pin connector for the near and far ends of the scsi
> >controller 0 bus? .....

> That should be just a normal 50-pin SCSI cable.  It doesn't actually
> "loop" back and connect to itself.  It's just connected that way to
> ensure that both ends of the cable are terminated.  A longer cable
> wired the same way should work, but I don't know where you would find
> such a cable.

OK, then it sounds like it is just a funky way to use one connector
in place of two, which means each side is one end of the cable.
Good trick.

I make up cables all the time, so that should not be too difficult
to do in this case.

Now, the problem then becomes to find one of those 100 pin mini-dual-inline
or whatever the heck they are idc connectors.   Anyone have a source or
part number for those?   If it is something relatively available, I can
probably get my parts-house friend to track it down.  If it is a totally
wierd DECism, or it take special press dies, then that may not be easy to do.

Any pointers/suggestions  appreciated.

Bob