Subject: Re: Minimum MicroVAX 3100/20 kernel config?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 10:52:03
> > >My reason for recompiling the kernel is that it is forcing me into a
> > >floppy instead of sd2. .....

> > If the dmesg output looks good, compiling a new kernel probably isn't
> > going to help you.  Have you tried looking at the disklabel for that
> > disk?  I suspect that you're confusing the issue by assuming this has
> > anything to do with floppy disks.

Bingo!   For some reason sd2 was labelled as an RX33?  Yikes.....

I dd'd over the first 1000 blocks of a known good similar drive, and
that cured the the HD thinking it was a floppy problem.

On the problem I was having with not mounting the higher numbered drives,
it turned out that I need to makedev a few more devices, than normal.

The controller seems to reside at scsi ID 6, so I am assuming I can
easily use ID's 0-5 on each bus, and makedev sufficient points
appropriately, to match.  What about ID 7?  What is that used for,
if anything?

Now VAXbaby sports 5 internal drives and will have a 6th external drive,
and as many more as I can hang on for testing and good measure.

Question on the MicroVAX 3100/20 boxes.... the internal scsi controller 0
bus only has a strange looping cable with what looks like a 100 pin
connector.  I am assuming DEC would not loop the scsi bus, even on  that
short a cable (8 inch or so), although they might.  The VS3100/30
has a similar cable but much longer by about 3 feet.  Is it using each
side of the 100 pin connector for the near and far ends of the scsi
controller 0 bus?  IFF that is the case, is there a source for those
connectors so I can lengthen it to use a cable long enough go service
all 5 internal drive bays off the scsi controller 0 bus?  That would
leave the entire second scsi 1 controller bus for external use.
Just curious and thinking out loud..... and wondering, just how many
actual drives I can hang on the beast......(:+}}...

Thanks

Bob