Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#192631369: VAX 9000 Model
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Akos Varga <hamster@telnet.hu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 01:18:15
On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > this is one of the absolute awesomest VAXen ever made. however, it will
> > suck down 30 kilowatts and has special blowers and such which MUST always
> > run or the mahcine will promptly burn up (no joke).
>
> The beast sounds nice, but is obviously out of most Ernie Co-VAXplayers'
> range.

Yup, it's a regular mainframe, and it's just awsome, if you configure it
into a cluster with a bunch of HSC's, SA's :) (but that's not
NetBSD-land anyway) There are some picures somewhere at
http://www.telnet.hu/hamster/oldiron/e_vaxen.html (yup, that was
a shameless plug). The machine on the pictures is "just" a 9000-410.

> What are lowerendian things to keep an eye out for that are more like
> a house refrigerator in size, and maybe the home dryer in power?
> I thought one was about the size of a small apartment refrigerator.
> 11/7xx or 86xx of some sort or what?   A 4000ish thing maybe?

If you're not afraid to decode some martian (well... hungarian:),
go and take a look at http://www.telnet.hu/hamster/vax/main.html
Click on the names of VAX models, and you can see which VAX is
which :) (I'll translate that site into english, I promise:)

> and my MV3100/20 is nice for a server, but slow, and they seem to
> be kindof the toy end of the VAX spectrum.  What is the general

A 3100/20 is slow? You should see my 11/730 with 2 megs of RAM ;-)

	Hamster