Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#192631369: VAX 9000 Model 410 -Digital Equip. Corp
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/04/1999 16:37:02
> this is one of the absolute awesomest VAXen ever made. however, it will
> suck down 30 kilowatts and has special blowers and such which MUST always
> run or the mahcine will promptly burn up (no joke).

The beast sounds nice, but is obviously out of most Ernie Co-VAXplayers'
range.

What are lowerendian things to keep an eye out for that are more like
a house refrigerator in size, and maybe the home dryer in power?

I thought one was about the size of a small apartment refrigerator.
11/7xx or 86xx of some sort or what?   A 4000ish thing maybe?

I am thinking what might make a reasonably utilitarian server or
maybe single-user workstation.  My VS3100 is more like the latter,
and my MV3100/20 is nice for a server, but slow, and they seem to
be kindof the toy end of the VAX spectrum.  What is the general
consensus for one or two steps up the VAX ladder?

Not that one would roll across my doorstep or anything.....(:+}}...

But, I run across some strange things in Moo U surplus around here,
so it might be worth keeping an eye out and know what it was I was
actually looking at.

Bob