Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#192631369: VAX 9000 Model 410 -Digital Equip. Corp
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/04/1999 16:06:16
this is one of the absolute awesomest VAXen ever made. however, it will
suck down 30 kilowatts and has special blowers and such which MUST always
run or the mahcine will promptly burn up (no joke). the whole thing is a
huge pile of custom ECL and is the fastest VAX ever made. something like
100 VUPS or thereabouts. if it would fit in my house (it it would even
fit inthe front door much less down the steps to the basement) and if it
wasnt all the way in Texas, i'd take it in no time. (alas, shipping alone
would cost about $2000 to where i live!)
To run it, though, you'll need three-phase power (240V) and an ability
to feed about 120 or 130 ** amps ** through that line.
but just to have it would be AWESOME.
only a few hundred of these were ever made.
If the VAX6000 is supported, then support for the 9000 will not be too
difficult.
dont be fooled folks, this is a BIG machine. it weighs over five tons.
but it is AWESOME.

isildur