Subject: Re: Minimum MicroVAX 3100/20 kernel config?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/04/1999 09:24:04
At 09:42 AM 11/4/99 -0500, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>I was trying to get VAXbaby to compiler her kernel last night (Yes, Ragge,
>it does take overnight, or at least after I feel over asleep.....(:+{{).
>but when I checked her this morning, the build had stopped at sbi.c,
>in routine sbi_attach, with a def of VAX8600 not being recognized.
>I am assuming I have something twiggled incorrectly, in the GENERIC
>kernel, although I don't remember for sure if I commented anything out.

Correct, you apparently commented out the CPU support but left Bus support
in for the 8600. In the GENERIC config you must comment out both the bigger
processers and all of their busses. So get rid of the sbi* lines and the
bi* and cmi* lines (all my uVax stuff is attached to the Q-bus (which is
the Unibus according to NetBSD :-)

>Anyway, for the sake of discussion, anyone have a working minimum config
>file for a MicroVAX 3100/20, that uses uba0 scsi1 and scsi2, no floppy,
>and can hang at least 6 drives (2 on scsi1 and 4 on scsi2) plus tape and
>cd?  Reading the 4.4BSD config does not help much on the later hardware.
>And, my VAXspeak is rather primitive, currently.....(:+{{...

Check out the POSTAGE_STAMP config in the kernels section.

>Other than being a little slow, and not letting me hang more drives on
>her, VAXbaby is a fun little machine.

That it is.
--Chuck