Subject: Re: What source tree sections needed for only kernel compiles?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/03/1999 10:23:18
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> What else can be discarded for kernel only building?  I suspect the
> include and lib trees may be needed, for sys to compile, but the rest
> can probably go?  What if any changes need to be made to the makefile?

NFS mounted filesystems are really handy for this sort of problem. :-)
If all you're doing is recompiling the kernel, I'm fairly certain you can
get by with just the /usr/src/sys subtree.  It's about 68MB in size.
You don't need to alter any makefiles to recompile the kernel unless
you're going in and added new source files to kernel.

You will need to edit a kernel config file, or you can just use the
GENERIC config.  The config file would then live in
/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/conf,

   /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/conf/GENERIC

You then run the config utility on this file which creates a corresponding
compile directory with the same name as the config file.

  /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC/

Then inside this directory you type "make" and off your kernel compile
goes, ultimately generating a kernel image named "netbsd".

> What is the drive size limit on the boot drive in NetBSD on a MicroVAX
> 3100?  Can it handle the RZ26 or is that pushing the 1 gig limit too
> closely?  The RZ26 may work, but I was thinking the RZ26-L was over
> the edge?  Can someone clarify the limit exactly?

I'm using a 2GB Micropolis at the boot drive on one of my VAXstation 3100s
and I've had no problems booting from it.  I know the VMS people have long
mumbled about the 1GB disk limit for boot drives on the older SCSI VAXen
like the early MicroVAX and VAXstation 3100 users, but I've yet to run
into it under NetBSD/vax.

I think the VMSers are suffering from a bad case of tunnel vision imposed
upon them by their OS :-)

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----

                                    ,-._|\