Subject: Re: Disks not found
To: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/02/1999 08:12:34
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, maximum entropy wrote:

> In /sys/dev/scsipi/sd.c:sdattach():
>
>         error = scsipi_start(sd->sc_link, SSS_START,
>             XS_CTL_DISCOVERY | XS_CTL_IGNORE_ILLEGAL_REQUEST |
>             XS_CTL_IGNORE_MEDIA_CHANGE | XS_CTL_SILENT);
>
> In /sys/dev/scsipi/scsipi_base:scsipi_start():
>
>         return (scsipi_command(sc_link,
>             (struct scsipi_generic *) &scsipi_cmd, sizeof(scsipi_cmd),
>             0, 0, 2, (type & SSS_START) ? 30000 : 10000, NULL,
>             flags));
>
> As a wild guess, I would say that the timeout value of 30000 is too
> small for the RZ56 to respond to the start unit command.

Well, there's at least one good way to find out :-)  Edit and recompile.

I say we leave Ragge to worry about other VAX specific issues and let
someone who's familiar with the machine independent SCSI code to figure
out how to get the RZ56 to spin up.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
            My favorite programming language is solder.