Subject: Re: VAXStation 3100 Performance
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/01/1999 11:42:52
> > > Speaking of VS3100 graphics....  what monitors work correctly on the
> > > VS3100?  I have one that does not want to sync correctly to the mono
> > > VR260 or VR262 or VRM17 (high or low switch sync) monitors.  It will
> > > sync on a VRC-16, and the fellow that gave it to me gave me an  HA19
> > > monitor (the big sony GDM thing).  Unfortunately, I can't get the
> > > sony to sync either.
>
> I use a VR260 on my VAXstation 3100s, so at the very least that one should
> work fine.  If the VAXstation you're testing the monochrome monitors on
> has a color graphics board then probably aren't going to see much.  If you
> pull the graphics board then you'll get a signal from the built-in mono
> frame buffer for certain.  You'll also want to flick the console select
> switch near the serial ports to the "down" position to use the graphic
> console.

Ahhh, OK.  I pulled the board and flipped the switch UP and was using
a serial console.  I will try down and with a mono monitor.  As it
turns out, my VR260 and VR262 have gone to monitor heaven.  The 260
went pop and the 262 got all squirrly on the sync at power on, and
would not drop into sync even after several hours.  Capacitors maybe?

I have one remaining mono monitor, the VRM17.  That seems to work,
but is getting very jumpy after about 5 minutes of power on.  The
screen goes real wide, and folds back about 2 inches on the right side.
I am expecting something to go in it, soon, too.  Anyone have any
suggestions for adjustments of the horizontal width?  I saw a label
on the back with horizontal on it, so I am  assuming it is one of
the little pots reachable from the back side.

What is it with DEC monitors.....(:+{{.....

Thanks

Bob