Subject: Re: vax scsi funzies
To: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/01/1999 11:21:33
> >way as to not recognize all of them.  The kernel seems to only handle the
> >first 4 drives.
> >
> >DKA0 seems to be sd0 (not sure since that is the ultrix root und verboten)
> >DKA100 is sd1 (original drive to which netbsd was installed)
> >DKB0 seems to be a scsi floppy drive in netbsd?????  Did not recognize sd2
> >DKB100 is sd3 (cloned the sd1 drive to it for safety backup)
> >DKB200 is not recognized
> >DKB300 is not recognized
> >
> >Is that correct?  I think what is happening is that the kernel may not
> >have but the first 4 drive positions compiled in.  IF so, it sounds
> >like I need to recompile kernel?  Also the generic is calling sd2 a
> >scsi floppy.  Is that a carryover from VS3100 where scsi floppy exists?

On a lark, I brought up a VS3100, and it worked fine on that, recognizing
all the internal drives correctly, and the floppy correctly, but that
has only the single controller.

> That's very strange.  The GENERIC kernel has:
> sd*             at scsibus? target? lun?
>
> That means it doesn't have a hard-wired sdN devices for each disk,
> like old-style BSD configurations.  It should find all your drives.

I am not sure what exactly it is not picking up on.  Ultrix got all
6 drives, and show dev picks them up.  I downloaded the source taballs,
and will try a generic compile and see where that goes.  Are there
any things different in using the MicroVAX 3100 with both scsi controllers
that I need to be aware of in configuring as opposed to a single controller
machine?

Thanks  (and Thanks Ragge.....(:+}} for the nice DMA kernel!).

Bob