Subject: Re: Calling All VAXperts!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/1999 17:08:05
----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 1999 1:29 PM
Subject: Calling All VAXperts!

> Yes, I do believe I just coined a new word: VAXpert = VAX expert. ;-)

Nah, been around for a while I think...:^)

> Now that I have your attention... I may have the opportunity to pick up a
> VAX 6000/210. What can you tell me about this system?

Quite a bit actually.  I have several 6000's and work with one as well.

>Vintage?

Probably circa 1988-90

> Size?

>It's big.  Think Fridge.  And that's just the system unit.
Drives/controllers vary considerably
depending on the machine config and what it was doing, (ie standalone, part
of a cluster etc)
Do you know what comes with it (if anything?) or is it just the system unit?
Drives particularly vary a LOT. In SDI style, RA8x types @ 64Kg each down to
RA7x types which are
house brick sized.  Post the numbers and we'll tell ya all about 'em.  It
could also have had DSSI, or SCSI
drives, again, sizes vary, but they are mostly rather smaller than their SDI
brethren.
If you can give a list of the boxes that are going with it, and the numbers
from the cards in
the system unit, we can give a pretty good indication of what you'll need to
run it.
NB.  Just because it says 6000-210 on the front don't mean it's not a
6000-240 or 440
or something in between.
It takes (literally) 2 minutes to change/add cpu cards, so you really need
to have a look inside.
The cpus are in the far right slots normally, with the RAM cards next to
them.
Basic RAM for a 6000 is usually 64Mb, (two 32mb cards) and they can handle
up to 256Mb.

Common configurations are :-

1 (or more) Vax 6000-xxx with up to 4 cpus (up to 6 with VMS 6.2? and above
IIRC)
either:-

Internal drive controller, for (in order of likelihood) SDI, DSSI or SCSI
OR (more likely) :-
A CI bus adapter to connect to a Heirarchical Storage Controller, with SDI
drives
connected to that.  Part of a VAXCLUSTER of several Vaxen sharing
drives/resources etc.

One or more SAxxx storage adapters with a mix of  RA8x, RA7x or RA9x drives.
You might have DSSI drives as well, (DEC proprietary almost SCSI)
SCSI is possible too but less likely.

TK70 295Mb cartridge tape drive & controller card. (Console device on a
6000)
TK50 on steroids.  Will read TK50 tapes but not write to them unless they
are
bulk erased and reformatted on the TK70 drive.

Ethernet controller of some kind, (possibly more than one)

Heirarchical Storage Controller, HSC50 or 70 usually, though you might get
lucky
and strike a 90.  File cabinet sized PDP based dedicated disk controller.
They have a little o/s of their own called CRONIC.  50's boot from a
midget tape drive, 70's from an RX33.  An HSC pulls around the same
power load as the Vax.  They are also 3 phase, but moddable.

Star Coupler.  Sort of a passive hub for the CI bus cables.
Essential if you have a HSC based system..  File cabinet size, no power.

CI cables are blue semi rigid 50ohm coax, like thick ethernet only more so.
(They make FABULOUS low, low, loss feeders for VHF or UHF stuff too if you
have extras:^)

Probably a tape drive or two somewhere.  TA78/79's are common.  15A@240vac
single
phase.  Big autothreading suckers. Run on air/vaccuum, have a huge
compressor in the base.
Usually single phase in 240v form, but need a 15a outlet.  (Not sure what
the US config for
them is)  Connected to the HSC or SDI/STI controller in the Vax.
Might get a Tu81+ or similar too. They are nice small manual thread very
reliable. Standard
outlet power.  Need a matching adapter in the Vax. (Not HSC compatible -
though knowing
DEC there's probably a version that is. (TA81?)

> Power

Despite the size, it's not bad.  3 phase in native form, but moddable to
single.
a 6210 would draw around 500w depending on what's in it. FWIW, A 6440 uses
around 600w with 4 cpu's & 256Mb Ram on 240vac (our normal house current),
ie.  it draws around 2.5 amps.

> needs? Bionic arms needed to lift one?

6 or 7 guys, or a forklift.  ~ 500lbs.  If you need to know
the EXACT weight I'll dig out the manual.  I've moved 'em
both ways.  The forklift is easier, but a flatbed that you can lay
it down and slide it off is possible, but you do need at least 6 or
so.
Have a look at http://www.stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au/vax/odyssey.html
to see a cluster that we moved.

> Finally... can NetBSD/VAX run on it?

Not YET.  Ultrix or VMS.    However a few of us are looking into beginning
a port to this platform, as they are starting to appear quite a bit now.
If you get lucky, the O/S will still be on the drives, assuming you get some
with it.  There is a hobbyist VMS license available through DECUS gratis..

If you are interested in assisting with the port, your contribution would be
most
welcome....

Cheers

Geoff Roberts