Subject: le0 Timeouts
To: NetBSD VAX Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/1999 01:39:57
The problem with timeouts on the Lance Ethernet Device definitely
needs some attention. It seems to be the next obstacle needed to
be overcome to make NetBSD on the smaller VAX'es usable.

It seems to occur when the load on the network increases. Ftp'ing
to or from  the box is a real pain. I've tried to run some X-programs,
but they fail after a while due to the timeouts. Even when telnetting
the timeouts show up. When i wrote this letter i received the timeout
message 3 times. :-(

This problem seems to be worse on the new DMA kernel, but the speed
when accessing the disks are great. No more need for NFS mounting the
root...

cheers,
/Anders H

--

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras