Subject: Re: 3100 booting problems solved!!!
To: None <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1999 14:26:20
>From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:11:45 -0400 (EDT)
>[...]
>way as to not recognize all of them.  The kernel seems to only handle the
>first 4 drives.
>
>DKA0 seems to be sd0 (not sure since that is the ultrix root und verboten)
>DKA100 is sd1 (original drive to which netbsd was installed)
>DKB0 seems to be a scsi floppy drive in netbsd?????  Did not recognize sd2
>DKB100 is sd3 (cloned the sd1 drive to it for safety backup)
>DKB200 is not recognized
>DKB300 is not recognized
>
>Is that correct?  I think what is happening is that the kernel may not
>have but the first 4 drive positions compiled in.  IF so, it sounds
>like I need to recompile kernel?  Also the generic is calling sd2 a
>scsi floppy.  Is that a carryover from VS3100 where scsi floppy exists?

That's very strange.  The GENERIC kernel has:
sd*             at scsibus? target? lun?

That means it doesn't have a hard-wired sdN devices for each disk,
like old-style BSD configurations.  It should find all your drives.

There are several possibilities:

- The NEWUBA kernel Ragge provided has hardwired sdN devices.  I find
  this very doubtful.  But if it were so, configuring a GENERIC kernel
  should solve your problems.
- There's a bug in the vax SCSI code.  It wouldn't be the first, but I
  don't think this is the case.
- The most likely cause is that you have incorrect termination on one
  or more of the drives, or that you have a bad cable.  Make
  ABSOULUTELY CERTAIN that the last drive and ONLY the last drive on
  each of your SCSI chains has termination enabled.  Failing that,
  start swapping cables around and see if anything changes.

>Where can I get a set of sources by ftp tarball to setup and recompile
>the kernel?  I don't have net access at home, so need a tarball to write
>to tape or cd to carry home.  Ragge, or whomever, can I get a kernel
>source tarball (or whatever is needed for a kernel recompile) with the
>latest dmascsi things?

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/

There you will find a copy of the sources as of this morning (the
tarballs are created weekly, each saturday).

Good luck...

--
entropy