Subject: Re: NetBSD on a DEC ChannelServer II
To: None <marcio.pocciotti@db.com,port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1999 11:33:11
At 10:10 AM 10/29/99 -0300, marcio.pocciotti@db.com wrote:
> It comes mounted on a BA213, no disks. Perfect for NetBSD.

(Actually mine is in a BA213 and has a KFQSA controller and two disks in
the "head", it is my most stable NetBSD VAX system!)

>I got it from a scrap dealer, but suprisingly it has never been switch on
>before! It=B4s brand new!

Bonus!

>A SHOW VERSION returns:
>
>KA655-B V5.3 VMB 2.7 -------------> a microVAX 3800/3900 according to
>http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/full.html

Tasty! This is a really nice NetBSD CPU combo.

>and it has a M7622 (16MB, that came installed) and a DESQA-SA (M3127-PA. I
have
>installed)

>When I try to boot netbsd, it stops at
>
>uba0 at mainbus0: Q22

That would be that you have the grant chain incomplete. Make sure that all
of your cards are side by side, starting from the right hand side.

>I thought at first, it could be a problem with the amount of memory, so I
>removed the memory card. It didn't work because the system gives a memory
>configuration error.

I believe it is simpler than that. Each card on the Q-bus passes bus grant
to the next card. On non-BA213 systems there are "bus grant cards" that you
have to stick into empty slots so that the system will continue working. In
your case just put them in right to left in the order of:
	CPU
	Memory
	(more memory if you have it)
	DELSQA