Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Maurice G. Lafleur <admin@ommadawn.cegep-heritage.qc.ca>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1999 13:08:10
At 03:36 PM 10/28/99 -0400, Maurice G. Lafleur wrote:
> The machine is a 4100/100A machine with

Is it possible this model number is a typo? There are Vax 4000's and Vax
4000 model xxx but I've never heard of a VAX4100. If you have physical
access to the machine can you describe what it looks like and what the
model number is stamped on the DEC label?

> 2 RF35/RZ35 disks,

RF or RZ ? One is DSSI (RF) and the other SCSI (RZ). DSSI are supported
using the KFQSA controller. SCSI are supported via QBUS MSCP type SCSI
controllers and some on-board SCSI controllers on the 31xx series.

> 16 megs of ram and an Ethernet interface.

That's everything you need to netboot.

> An external tape and SCSI cdrom are also available.

Argues for an RZ drive.

>I browsed the vax-port site and I couldn't figure out if my architecure
>is compatible with vax-bsd.
>Anyone has an answer to this?

The only way to answer this question completely is to identify the CPU
model and the peripherals. If they are qbus based MSCP peripherals they are
supported but if they are on the CPU card they may or may not be. Can you
get a list of DEC module numbers from the card cage?

--Chuck