Subject: Booting MicroVAX 3100/20....stuck at vaxboot
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1999 10:39:19
I am having trouble getting past the NetBSD/vaxboot stage of tape installation
on a MicroVAX 3100/20.  The machine is running Ultrix fine.  The TK50 tape
has a boot.fs image dd'd to the start of the tape followed by a tarball of
*.tgz.  The system is 1.4.1.  Booting the tape gives the boot loader:

>>> b/3 mkb500                      (tape on UBA0 scsi controller 2 ID 5)

>> NetBSD/vaxboot ........
>> autoboot message ......

I am stuck at the > prompt.  Help says to boot something.  It sounds like
it needs a kernel somewhere?  Boot what exactly?  Where is the kernel
located exactly (in the boot.fs?)?

The INSTALL.txt gives no clue... it assumes you already got to the sysinst
stage from the initial booting.  The old vaxine text doesn't help much
either.

Is my boot tape set up correctly?  Does it need an inline kernel between
the bootfs and the tarball of *.tgz?

What is the magick incantation to get from the vaxboot to the sysinstall?

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob