Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100 NetBSD
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1999 15:21:12
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, a MicroVAX 3100 in the tall (double high desktop) case with 8M ram,
> > > and it has the dual scsi controllers.
>
> > KA41-E  V1.1C6-17B-V6.2-263
>
> Yeah, of the MicroVAX 3100 line the following are supported: MicroVAX
> 3100/10, MicroVAX 3100/20, MicroVAX 3100/10e, and MicroVAX 3100/20e.
> And then there's the VAXserver 3100 that I can never remember to which
> MicroVAX 3100 it corresponds.  If you're not positive it's a MV3100/30
> then you might have some luck with it.  See Ragge's suggestion on the
> "SHOW VER" command to check the processor type.

I am not exactly sure of what is inside the case.  It is very similar to
the VS3100 machine internally, but it has a two-level high 5-drive bay,
with the ram board as the VS3100 (I think), but the scsi controller is
a bit different (don't remember exactly how).   I was thinking the
10 series was the single high case, and the 20 the double high case
and the 30 was in the same double-high case?  Maybe what I have is the
20 series.  I will check for board/case numbers tonight.  Should I be hoping
it is actually a 20 rather than a 30?

> The main thing holding up porting the kernel to a MicroVAX 3100/30 would
> be access to one by one of the kernel developers.  It's likely the port's
> not too difficult to accomplish if the ethernet is using the same lance
> chip, and the I/O board is using the same NCR SCSI chipset.

Let me get the board numbers, tonight, so I know exactly which it is.
What the heck, it won't nuke anything to write/try a boot tape while
I am at it....(:+}}...

If it is a 30, how is the 30 different from the 20, so I can understand
what the diffs are?

Thanks

Bob