Subject: Re: Boot stuff for SCSI available.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1999 14:33:16
> You mentioned having a uVAX 3100/M30... Now if you mean you've got a
> MicroVAX 3100/30, then you're out of luck as it's not supported yet.  If
> you mean you've got a VAXstation 3100/M30, then you're okay for running
> 1.4.1 or 1.4L.

Since I have both the MicroVAX 3100 and the VAXstation 3100 machines, I was
checking the VS3100 chassis (been carrying it around in my car trunk as
trash), and it seems to be complete exept for the 68pin scsi connector
and cable and a ram board.  Drat, I must have given the ram board to
a friend.  So, that machine is not going to be of much use for NetBSD
with no ram board, unless the MicroVAX ram board might sub into it.
Are they direct subs?  For testing, if I can find enough of a scsi
cable to work, I might try subbing parts off the MicroVAX to fit the
VAXstation (ram board in particular, but possibly the scsi and power
cabling).   If that can be made to work, I should be able to boot
it either off the floppy or a TK50 boot/install tape.

Still, the MicroVAX 3100 seems the better machine, IFF NetBSD might
be coerced to run on it.

I would appreciate any comments from the group on what, if any, chance
I might have in actually getting a MicroVAX 3100 up?  What are the
problems, or lack of development or testing, or whatever that seem
to be preventing the MicroVAX 3100 from working?

Bob