Subject: problem netbooting uVAX3300
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <marcio.pocciotti@db.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/20/1999 12:42:57
Dear friends,

I'm trying to boot a uVAX3300 from an OpenBSD machine configured as a bootserver
and NFS server.
On the boot server I have /export/vaxclient/root filled with NetBSD1.4 for vax.

The VAX sends the MOP request, the boot server answers and the serial console of
the VAX displays something like this:

-ESA0
>> NetBSD/vax boot [May 5 1999 21:06:45] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
> boot netbsd

Then it displays some codes from the VAX monitor and returns to the prompt

The uVAX3300 is running with a KA640 motherboard, an 8 MB memory card (12 MB
total) and a TK70 Controller card. I have disconnected the two DSSI disks.
I'm using mopboot from .../NetBSD-1.4/vax/installation/netboot/boot.mop and
kernel  .../NetBSD-1.4/vax/installation/netboot/netbsd.gz.
I have done

# mkdir -p /tftpboot/mop
     # mv boot.mopformat /tftpboot/mop
     # cd /tftpboot/mop
     # ln -s boot.mopformat MOPBOOT.SYS

and gunziped netbsd.gz to  /export/vaxclient/root/netbsd

I also followed all instructions in the
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening? Do I need a different MOPBOOT?
Has anyone successfully booted this machine with NetBSD?

BTW: Can I, in any way, use the DSSI disks to hold an installation of  NetBSD on
 this VAX as a standalone machine?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Marcio Pocciotti