Subject: Re: Big VAXen
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/05/1999 12:28:54
----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 5 October 1999 7:36

> At 10:01 PM 9/25/99 , Matt Thomas wrote:
> My bid was successful!  Here's what I got for $500:

Not a bad price.   Well done.

> FM-H9607-AA - 6200 System Box 208/60;

It will need about 500w of power to run this in that configuration.
I'm afraid I'm not able to help much with 3 phase 208v to Single phase
110v, as our 415v Vaxen are all now running 240v Single phase, but it should
be possible.  The power distribution box should be straight forward.
The main supply itself is basically a mains rectified 300v DC supply,
with 24vdc for the blower and other odds and sods generated from that.
Some tinkering with it's front end rectifier arrangement will probably
produce
something that will run on 110v.  A voltage doubler, or better yet, 100-220v
stepup transformer
might be the way, ours run on 240v fed straight to the 220v inputs on the
supply,
using a neutral instead of the original interphase arrangement, after
ripping out the massive
3 phase autotransformer the 415v units have.
(240 is close enough to 220 not to blow anything up, the first one
we did has been running for over 2 years now).

> KA64A-AA - T2015 CPU Module;
> MS62A-AB - 32MB ECC Memory;
> MS62A-AB - 32MB ECC Memory;

Okay! 6000-410 with 64 MB.  Any manuals or other docs with it?

I can spare another KA64-AA if you want to play with SMP,
and probably another 64Mb of RAM as well.  Someone closer to
you with the same stuff laying about might be easier though....

> DEBNA-M - VAXBI Ethernet Adapter;

Did you get an AUI to whatever transceiver with it?

> TBK70-M - VAXBI Module T1035;
> TK70-AA - TK70 Tape Drive;

Did you get the console/diag tapes?

> KDB50-C - RA-Disk Controller;
> KDB50-C - RA-Disk Controller;
> KDB50-A - RA-Disk Controller;

IIRC, they handle up to 4 SDI drives each.  They will also handle STI Tape
drives
of the TA78/79 variety.  (Big autothreading suckers)

> SA70-HK - .56GB SA70 Building Block;
> RA70-A - 280MB 5.25" Disk;
> RA70-A - 280MB 5.25" Disk;

Good drives.  Pity I'm so far away, I could give you a few more to fill it
up.

> SA600-FA - 2.4GB SA Building Block;
> RA90-NA - 1.2GB Disk;
> RA90-MA - 1.2GB Disk;
> RA90-MA - 1.2GB Disk;
> RA90-CA - 1.2GB Disk;
> RA90-CA - 1.2GB Disk

I've got an SA-650 here, basically same cab, but with 2 populated SA-70's in
the top slot.
(8 x RA70's) along with the RA90's.

> TU81E-BA - TU81-Plus, BI-Bus;

Most reliable of the 9 track drives I think, and it doesn't use a bloody
great air compressor,
just keep the tape path clean and you will get good service from it.  Ours
came up like new,
despite standing in the rain for most of a day......

TIP: When you get it all fired up, do a Standalone backup of the system
volume on to your TA81,
as it probably still contains the license database, amongst other things,
should you wish/need to
play with VMS, (still the best O/S for these at the moment, though hopefully
that will now
change.......:^) Not an Ultrix box by any chance?  That might help Ragge
with some things?
.
If you need help with the specifics of how to break in to the VMS system
from the console,
and other specifics for this box, I have an Owners Manual for 6400 Vaxen.
If I can help in ANY way,
please let me know.....

> 600LPM Text/Graphics Printer;

Excellent catch.  Hard to find ones that work, (around here anyway)

> LA100-BA - KSR Term w/Tractor;

You may find you prefer a VT100 as a console.

> Ragge, I assume you will want console access, right? :-)

I have a good feeling about this......:^)

Cheers

Geoff