Subject: Re: installboot for vax?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jon W Grubbs <jgrubbs@megsinet.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/04/1999 22:06:13
Good Day,

I also have an expansion unit for my VS3100/M48, 20 MB memory, that has
RZ56 drives installed in it.  1.4.1 boots fine from the internal RZ23's
without the RZ56's, but gives the same error reported here for ncr1 if they
are connected.  Yes, "sho dev" acks the drives and in fact, VMS happily
boots off of one of the drives as currently configured.  There are no SCSI
numbering conflicts.

In scanning the archives, I notice that sometime back it was suggested that
maybe this (RZ56's "breaking" the SCSI code) was a sync/async communication
problem.  I also noticed that the RZ56 comes up frequently as a non-player
when SCSI problems are discussed.  Has this issue been resolved?  If so,
what's the work around?  If not, what kind of debugging can I do to assist
in isolating the problem.

Also, maybe related but I'm not sure, the internal "almost a SCSI" RRD40 CD
reader is not recognized at boottime either, although it doesn't keep the
system from coming up.  It is on ncr0 @ device 0.  Is this a known
issue?  Again, the drive shows up in "sho dev" and is useable from VMS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Jon Grubbs
jgrubbs@megsinet.net