Subject: Re: VS4000 VLC headless?
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/01/1999 15:44:05
Hi !

> > > What's the biggest SIMM size that this box can handle? Seenms like
> there's
> > > 8x 4Mbyte in it now, but 8x 32Mbyte would be nice :-)
>
> I guess, you have 6 memory slots, not 8 ...

Right... look below... 96 megs maximum :-)

> > As i know, you can put 4MB and 16MB modules in it.
>
> Where do you have this info from ?
> I always thought, that the only ones are PS/2, 4 MB, parity.

Uhm... i saw it in some CPU registers, there are "1M" and "4M" modules, the
$MB ones show as "1M" modules. So i think they mean "1Mx32" and "4Mx32", which
means, 16 MB modules should also work. And i can't imagine DEC setting the
maximum memory to 24 Megs. Not even in the 4000 VLC.

> > So max memory is 96 Megs in this box.
>
> > Except the problems i still have with the CPU primary cache, the box
> > is supported unofficially in NetBSD and should run with the current
> kernels or
> > 1.4.1. Mine is running VMS 7.2 at the moment.
>
> And if the cache works, it is probably the nicest/fast/cheapest small VAX.
> Something like a VAX-laptop ;-)

What about the 4000/90 ? About 6 times faster, and the same size :-) But i have
some LCD panels flying around here. Emanuel, we should try to put one into the
box the next meeting :-)

so long... Michael