Subject: Re: 1.4.1 binary dist?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, hamster@telnet.hu>
From: None <carlini@andnot.lkg.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/30/1999 16:04:06
"hamster@telnet.hu" wrote:

[snip]

>PS: Does anyone know what MicroVAX hides itself under the name "Infoserver
>150" (KA-41-2)? Mine died recently, and so I'm thinking about converting
>a normal VAX into an Infoserver (if it can be done... or is this some

As far as I know, an InfoServer 100 is just a rebadged VAXserver 3100. Whether
it had special boot roms or not I don't know. I've never tried to make one into
an Infoserver so I don't know if it can be done.

The InfoServer 150 is (I believe) a value engineered VAXserver 3100. This means
that all those bits not necessary for an InfoServer were not put on board (like
FPU support I think). So it might be possible to turn a VAXserver 3100 into an
InfoServer 150 but the other way round is impossible. (The IS150 used a CVAX
running at 60ns so it should have been a stripped down uVAX 3100-10e).

>special hardware?). I must say I feel lost when it comes to DEC machines
>made after 1990 :-)

Well given that the set of such machines cannot - by definition - grow any
further then you have a finite problem; just keep learning and you'll get
there, plus the later boxes tend to be on the whole smaller and simpler than
their ancestors.

regards,

Antonio