Subject: Re: new to list / swap setup problem VS3100M38
To: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/29/1999 21:48:21
What are you trying to do:
         1) Swap on an NFS mounted file.
         2) Create a file on an NFS exported partition that you
            can swap to?

For #1 you modify /etc/fstab with a line like this:
     server:/export/swap   nfs      swap sw,nfsmntpt=/swap,priority=0 0 0
The important bit is that you make a directory /swap and you make
sure that the file is exported from your server and the server's IP address
can be resolved (put it in /etc/hosts of root for example.)

For #2 the easiest way is to use dd to copy some number of blocks from
/dev/null
into a file that you're going to export with NFS. On any UNIX and probably
Linux
you can type:
         dd if=/dev/null of=swapfile bs=1024 count=16384
bs is block size and I set it to 1K because it means I can create 'n' megabytes
by multiplying n by 1024 and using that as a count (so in this case its 16 MB)

--Chuck