Subject: panic: segv in kernel mode
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/1999 11:17:39
While attempting to build a -current GENERIC kernel while running under
the GENERIC kernel distributed with 1.4.1 (see my messages under the
subject "BUG: process flushed twice" for my utter frustration in running
a kernel I have built to date), my 4000/60 (8MB, serial console) paniced
with the message

panic: Segv in kernel mode: pc 8006cd54 addr 34000

At the time, I was running make all on the console and had just started
ps on a telnet session.

I guess my fundamental problem is determining what I should use as some
sort of stable base that I can use to do some hacking. I have the following
systems available:

MicroVAX 2000 - I think it has 6MB RAM, but it's been some time since I
  powered it on, so I can't swear to that.
MicroVAX 3100/30 - 4MB RAM. I've already given up on this system twice
  as it's taken over a week every time I've started a kernel build
  without managing to get out of the /kern subdirectory (with disk, it
  took well over a day to compile /kern/init_main.c).
VAXstation 4000/60 - 8MB RAM. Compiles kernels quickly, but not reliably;
  no kernel I have built has been stable enough to build a kernel while
  running it (I even built GENERIC), and now I'm having trouble building
  while running the distributed kernel.
VAXstation 4000/96 - I have not yet tried this machine with NetBSD. Should
  I?

Is anyone doing actual work with any of the above machine classes, or am
I just extraordinarily unlucky?

Of course, I always have my standby MicroVAX II, but I was hoping to
bring up a stable platform more powerful and less noisy.

On what machines does NetBSD run well?

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu