Subject: Re: Off Topic...
To: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/27/1999 23:30:15
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Anders Hogrelius SdU wrote:

> The workstation support is installed, but when the system boots it just
> complains that it can't find any graphics hardware. The DECWindows startup
> just exits, and i can't start it afterwards.

You don't have to, it's just trying to start a local X server, which it
can't, because you have no graphics hardware. Ignore it.

Log in to the box as SYSTEM. Configure your network protocols, DECnet,
TCP/IP, whatever. Create a non-priv user. Log out.

Log in as a regular user. At the VMS prompt ($), set the display and
create a terminal window:

$ SET DISPLAY/CREATE/NODE=mybox.mdh.se/TRANSPORT=TCP
$ CREATE TERMINAL/DETACH

(the above is from memory, I have no VMS box to test it on right now. $
HELP in VMS is your friend).

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2