Subject: Re: MicroVAX-3100 info needed
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/20/1999 09:51:59

	It should run fine (see www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/index.html)

> 2.  What is the largest HD that can be accomodated in it?

	Use a tape measure :)
	Seriously - any SCSI drive should work, albeit slowly.

> 3.  What is the priority for hooking up HD's internally and externally?
>     The machine has the dual UBA0 SCSI0 and UBA0 SCSI1 busses.

	Performance will be, uh, less than ideal until DMA support is
	written, though splitting drives across busses is almost always
	a good plan.

> 4.  The machine currently has 3 RZ23's plus an RRD42 and a Tandberg
>     2 gig 1/4 inch cartridge tape internally, plus an RZ55 and an TK50Z
>     externally, and is now loaded with Ultrix 4.2.  Are the tape drives
>     supported in NetBSD-1.4.1?  There seems to be some confusion on the
>     list as to what is and what is not supported tapewise.  From Ultrix,
>     I can write a TK50 boot tape or any size 1/4 inch cartridge, or from
>     other machines I can write any size 1/4 inch cartridge.

	I believe you should be able to use the tape drive from within
	NetBSD, but you may not be able to boot NetBSD from it.

> 5.  My goal is to use the uvax3100 as a local boot server for bringing
>     up other NetBSD boxes.  Can it do this satisfactorily, or would I
>     be better off using a DS3100 instead.

	Until SCSI DMA is implemented for the vax I'd use the DS3100.

		David/absolute

	 -=-  "Just adding to the wrinkles on his deathly frown"  -=-