Subject: Re: Newbie install problem (MV3100)
To: Peter Joules <peter@joules.enterprise-plc.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/1999 12:15:24
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Peter Joules wrote:

> I have had a discussion with Bruce Lane via private mail as a result of
> my first post and it seems that the problem is that NetBSD can't cope
> with the SCSI bus in the 3100.

I just re-read the initial message.  I'd spaced on the fact that you were
trying to boot from tape on the SCSI device.  Yeah, booting from SCSI tape
devices is untested (and apparently non-functional) on the MicroVAX 3100s
and VAXstation 3100s.

Booting from floppy disks, hard drives, and over the net has been tested.
Assuming you don't have a floppy -- if you've got a Zip drive handy, you
can "dd" the install image onto a Zip disk.  You can boot the install from
Zip and procede with the normal install onto your target hard drive.

-brian.
---