Subject: Re: Booter test please
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/11/1999 11:27:08
You know, if there is one good the about Pee Cees, it is that whatever can
run on a 12MHz 386 can run on a PIII Xeon 500MHz box.  It may not be
optimized (at that speed, who could tell?), but atleast it will work!  As
great as the vax is, this is something that could have been better.  Low
level stuff.  There is so much work that must be put into getting it to
run on the next model, it just isn't even funny.

No wonder VMS isn't "The Greatest<tm>".  There is a ton of crap in the
low-level stuff that is specific to certain models, all billion and three
or so.  The only good part about this is that when DEC made the screwed up
hardware, it worked, and it usually worked very well.  I guess that is the
price we pay for advancement?

Regards,
John Havard