Subject: Error writing to disk
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: M.Stein <matthias@gom.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/09/1999 10:17:00
Hello All!

Some month ago I get a VAXstation 3500 from the university and now I want
to install NetBSD on it.

I can boot from a tape, but it seems there is an error, when edlabel try's
to read/write from/to disk. It sounds 3 times like repositioning of the
head and the 'Fault' led is on.

The disk unit number is 2 and I have connect the cabel labeled with '2' to
Port A of the disk (why are there two ports??) - front panel switch 'A' is
on, 'B' is off, 'Write Protect" is off (I hope 'on' meens pressed).

'SHOW QBUS' output is 772150 KDA50.
'SHOW UQSSP' output is -DUA2 (RA70).
'SHOW DEVICES' output is -DUA2 (772150).

The device I choose at edlabel is ra(0,2,0).

Perhaps the guys at the university have cleaned the disks the hard way and
I have to low level format them?

Thanks for your time and help!

					Kind Regards

					Matthias Stein