Subject: Re: Boot loader on a VAX 4000/200
To: Jon Lindgren <jonl@yubyub.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@aiolos.camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/09/1999 07:27:10
Hi !

> > boot netbsd.gz
> stray interrupt: pc 30221c vector 0x4, ipl 31
> stray interrupt: pc 30227c vector 0x1c, ipl 31
> stray interrupt: pc 30227c vector 0x1c, ipl 31
> stray interrupt: pc 30227c vector 0x1c, ipl 31
> stray interrupt: pc 30227c vector 0x1c, ipl 31
> stray interrupt: pc 30227c vector 0x1c, ipl 31

This is a bit strange...

> 	rarpd on the boot server reported the ethernet address of my vax
> as ef:ef:ef:ef:ef:ef.  A tcpdump session reveals this during the
> BOOTPARAMS phase of the boot:

This shouldn't happen. If the machine has SGEC onboard, the ROM should be at
the dedicated address for it. Could you try to find out where the ROM with the
network address lives ?

> 	My second problem doesn't seem to have to do with the vax boot loader,
> but I may as well mention it.
>
> mopd seems to _always_ fail on the first boot attempt.  From a fresh boot,
> or from a fresh invocation, the first boot request fails.  Subsequent boot
> attempts are fine.  Again, the server's running under NetBSD-1.3.3-alpha.

This might be a bug in the mopd. I never got such a thing in the mop-phase. Got
problems in getting bootparams every second time, but mopd always worked. It's
running under Linux here.

> So, fantastic!  I can at least start booting the beast!  Thanks!

Ok, kernel will follow, hope to get it running the weekend.

so long.. Michael